Bill Summary & Status
108th Congress (2003 - 2004)
NEW SEARCH | HOME | HELP
Latest Title: Universal National Service Act of 2003
Sponsor: Rep Rangel, Charles B. [NY-15] (introduced 1/7/2003) Cosponsors (14)
Related Bills: S.89
Latest Major Action: 10/5/2004 Failed of passage/not agreed to in House. Status: On motion to suspend the rules and pass the bill Failed by the Yeas and Nays: (2/3 required): 2 - 402 (Roll no. 494).
|1/7/2003||Introduced in House|
|10/5/2004||Failed of passage/not agreed to in House: On motion to suspend the rules and pass the bill Failed by the Yeas and Nays: (2/3 required): 2 - 402 (Roll no. 494).|
- Referred to the House Committee on Armed Services.
- Executive Comment Requested from DOD.
- Referred to the Subcommittee on Total Force.
- 10/5/2004 5:59pm:
- Mr. McHugh moved to suspend the rules and pass the bill.
- 10/5/2004 6:00pm:
- Considered under suspension of the rules. (consideration: CR H8117-8130)
- 10/5/2004 6:00pm:
- DEBATE - The House proceeded with forty minutes of debate on H.R. 163.
- 10/5/2004 7:27pm:
- On motion to suspend the rules and pass the bill Failed by the Yeas and Nays: (2/3 required): 2 - 402 (Roll no. 494). (text: CR H8117-8118)
TITLE(S): (italics indicate a title for a portion of a bill)
- POPULAR TITLE(S):
Reinstate Draft bill (identified by CRS)
- SHORT TITLE(S) AS INTRODUCED:
Universal National Service Act of 2003
- OFFICIAL TITLE AS INTRODUCED:
To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes.
COSPONSORS(14), ALPHABETICAL [followed by Cosponsors withdrawn]: (Sort: by date)
Rep Abercrombie, Neil [HI-1]
Rep Brown, Corrine [FL-3] - 1/28/2003
Rep Christensen, Donna M. [VI] - 5/19/2004
Rep Clay, Wm. Lacy [MO-1] - 1/28/2003
Rep Conyers, John, Jr. [MI-14] - 1/7/2003
Rep Cummings, Elijah E. [MD-7] - 1/28/2003
Rep Hastings, Alcee L. [FL-23] - 1/28/2003
Rep Jackson, Jesse L., Jr. [IL-2] - 7/21/2004
Rep Jackson-Lee, Sheila [TX-18] - 1/28/2003
Rep Lewis, John [GA-5] - 1/7/2003
Rep McDermott, Jim [WA-7] - 1/7/2003
Rep Moran, James P. [VA-8] - 1/28/2003
Rep Stark, Fortney Pete [CA-13] - 1/7/2003
Rep Velazquez, Nydia M. [NY-12] - 1/28/2003Rep Norton, Eleanor Holmes [DC] - 1/28/2003(withdrawn - 6/21/2004)
RELATED BILL DETAILS: (additional related bills may be indentified in Status)
|S.89||Identical bill identified by CRS|