104th Congress (1995-1996)
THIS SEARCH THIS DOCUMENT GO TO Next Hit Forward New Bills Search Prev Hit Back HomePage Hit List Best Sections Help Contents Display
Bill PDFBillno should always have and extension i.e. h1.ih
Printer Friendly[Help] Congressional Record ReferencesBill Summary & Status
HR 639 IH
January 23, 1995
Mr. RAHALL introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Resources
- Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
- This Act may be cited as the `West Virginia National Rivers Technical Amendments Act of 1995'.
SEC. 2. AMENDMENTS PERTAINING TO THE NEW RIVER GORGE NATIONAL RIVER.
- (a) FISH AND WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT- Section 1106 of the National Parks and Recreation Act of 1978 (16 U.S.C. 460m-20) is amended by adding the following at the end thereof: `The Secretary shall permit the State of West Virginia to undertake fish stocking activities carried out by the State, in consultation with the Secretary, on waters within the boundaries of the national river. Nothing in this Act shall be construed as affecting the jurisdiction or responsibilities of the State of West Virginia with respect to fish and wildlife.'.
- (b) CONFORMING AMENDMENTS- Title XI of the National Parks and Recreation Act of 1978 (16 U.S.C. 460m-15 and following) is amended by adding the following new section at the end thereof:
`SEC. 1117. APPLICABLE PROVISIONS OF OTHER LAW.
- `(a) COOPERATIVE AGREEMENTS- The provisions of section 202(e)(1) of the West Virginia National Interest River Conservation Act of 1987 (16 U.S.C. 460ww-1(e)(1)) shall apply to the New River Gorge National River in the same manner and to the same extent as such provisions apply to the Gauley River National Recreation Area.
- `(b) REMNANT LANDS- The provisions of the second sentence of section 203(a) of the West Virginia National Interest River Conservation Act of 1987 (16 U.S.C. 460ww-2(a)) shall apply to tracts of land partially within the boundaries of the New River Gorge National River in the same manner and to the same extent as such provisions apply to tracts of land only partially within the Gauley River National Recreation Area.'.
SEC. 3. AMENDMENTS PERTAINING TO THE GAULEY RIVER NATIONAL RECREATION AREA.
- (a) TECHNICAL AMENDMENT- Section 205(c) of the West Virginia National Interest River Conservation Act of 1987 (16 U.S.C. 460ww-4(c)) is amended by adding the following at the end thereof: `If project construction is not commenced within the time required in such license, or if such license is surrendered at any time, such boundary modification shall cease to have any force and effect.'.
- (b) RIVER ACCESS- Within 90 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall submit a report to the Committee on Resources of the House of Representatives and to the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources of the Senate setting forth a plan to provide river access for noncommercial recreation users within the Gauley River National Recreation Area. The plan shall provide that such access shall utilize existing public roads and rights-of-way to the maximum extent feasible and shall be limited to providing access for such noncommercial users.
SEC. 4. AMENDMENT PERTAINING TO THE BLUESTONE NATIONAL SCENIC RIVER.
- Section 3(a)(65) of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act (16 U.S.C. 1271 and following) is amended by adding the following at the end thereof: `In order to provide reasonable public access and vehicle parking for public use and enjoyment of the river designated by this paragraph, consistent with the preservation and enhancement of the natural and scenic values of such river, the Secretary may, with the consent of the owner thereof, negotiate a memorandum of understanding or cooperative agreement, or acquire such lands or interests in such lands, or both, as may be necessary to allow public access to the Bluestone River and to provide, outside the boundary of the scenic river, parking and related facilities in the vicinity of the area known as Eads Mill.'.