S.2698 - Building Our Children's Future Act of 2002107th Congress (2001-2002)
|Sponsor:||Sen. Rockefeller, John D., IV [D-WV] (Introduced 06/27/2002)|
|Committees:||Senate - Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions|
|Latest Action:||06/27/2002 Read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
Subject — Policy Area:
- View subjects
Summary: S.2698 — 107th Congress (2001-2002)All Bill Information (Except Text)
Building Our Children's Future Act of 2002 - Establishes a grant program for renovation of schools.
Introduced in Senate (06/27/2002)
Directs the Secretary of Education to allot such grants to States using an allocation formula based on part A of title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965.
Requires reservation of specified amounts for direct Federal grants to: (1) local educational agencies (LEAs) that received impact aid basic support payments, and had eligible federally-connected students as more than half of their enrollment, during the preceding fiscal year, for construction, renovation, or repair; and (2) LEAs in the outlying areas, for renovation or repair of high-need schools.
Requires a State's allotment to be used for competitive subgrants to LEAs, as follows. Requires 75 percent to be for school renovation or repair, with priorities for: (1) schools damaged or destroyed by a natural disaster; and (2) high-poverty or high-growth schools, as determined by the State. Requires the remaining 25 percent to be for carrying out part B of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, or for improving technology in schools.