H.R.3166 - To appropriate such funds as may be necessary to ensure certain important functions of the Government continue during a Governmentwide shutdown, and for other purposes.113th Congress (2013-2014)
|Sponsor:||Rep. Latham, Tom [R-IA-3] (Introduced 09/20/2013)|
|Committees:||House - Ways and Means; Armed Services; Energy and Commerce; Agriculture; House Administration; Oversight and Government Reform; Transportation and Infrastructure|
|Latest Action:||10/04/2013 Referred to the Subcommittee on Department Operations, Oversight, and Nutrition. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
Summary: H.R.3166 — 113th Congress (2013-2014)All Bill Information (Except Text)
Introduced in House (09/20/2013)
Requires the Secretary of the Treasury, during a government-wide shutdown, to make available, out of any amounts in the general fund of the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, such amounts as are necessary to provide:
- pay and allowances to members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard, including reserve components, who perform active service during the funding gap;
- pay and allowances, at the discretion of the Secretary of Defense, to civilian personnel and contractors of the Department of Defense (DOD) who are providing support to such members of the Armed Forces;
- amounts necessary to carry out the authority of the Department of the Treasury to pay with legal tender the principal and interest on debt held by the public;
- such amounts as the President certifies to Congress are necessary to carry out vital national security priorities, as well as government functions necessary for protecting public health and safety; and
- amounts necessary to make payments under the Medicare program under title XVIII of the Social Security Act (SSA), as well as payments under the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly food stamps).
Defines "government-wide shutdown" as any portion of a fiscal year during which none of the appropriation bills for the fiscal year have become law and an Act or joint resolution making continuing appropriations for the fiscal year is not in effect.
Directs the Managing Trustee of the Board of Trustees of the Federal Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Trust Fund and the Federal Disability Insurance Trust Fund (including the Federal Hospital Insurance Trust Fund and the Federal Supplementary Medical Insurance Trust Fund), during such a shutdown, to make available to the Commissioner of Social Security such amounts as the Commissioner determines to be necessary for the uninterrupted payment of monthly insurance benefits under SSA title II (Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance) (OASDI) and benefits under SSA title XVI (Supplemental Security Income) (SSI).
Prohibits Members of Congress and the President from receiving basic pay during a government-wide shutdown and from receiving such forfeited pay retroactively.