H.R.3738 - Broadening Opportunities Through Education Act113th Congress (2013-2014)
|Sponsor:||Rep. Edwards, Donna F. [D-MD-4] (Introduced 12/12/2013)|
|Committees:||House - Education and the Workforce|
|Latest Action:||12/12/2013 Referred to the House Committee on Education and the Workforce.|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
Summary: H.R.3738 — 113th Congress (2013-2014)All Bill Information (Except Text)
Introduced in House (12/12/2013)
Broadening Opportunities Through Education Act - Directs the Secretary of Education to award competitive grants to states that make school attendance compulsory through age 17.
Requires states to use their grant to improve their secondary school programs, such as by:
- establishing or expanding work-based programs that integrate academic and career-based skills;
- implementing an early warning system that helps high schools and their feeder middle schools identify and assist struggling students;
- establishing grade and school transition programs and supports;
- personalizing the school experience and increasing student engagement through service-learning and experiential, work-based, and other learning opportunities;
- providing extended-learning opportunities by the school day, week, or year; and
- increasing student supports through activities such as student advisories, counseling, and one-to-one mentoring.