H.R.4084 - Community Gardening and Nutrition Act of 2014113th Congress (2013-2014)
|Sponsor:||Rep. Hastings, Alcee L. [D-FL-20] (Introduced 02/25/2014)|
|Committees:||House - Education and the Workforce|
|Latest Action:||06/13/2014 Referred to the Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce Training.|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
Summary: H.R.4084 — 113th Congress (2013-2014)All Bill Information (Except Text)
Introduced in House (02/25/2014)
Community Gardening and Nutrition Act of 2014 - Amends the Domestic Volunteer Service Act of 1973 to require the Director of the Corporation for National and Community Service to establish a Community Garden Pilot Program under the Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA) program.
Requires the Program to address the health and nutrition of individuals in low-income and underserved communities through activities that include:
- creating new community gardens and supporting and expanding existing community gardens;
- recruiting local community members to actively engage in community gardens and gardening projects;
- transforming vacant places into community garden plots;
- increasing community members' access to healthy foods and local foods while also encouraging them to stay active;
- expanding anti-poverty efforts by teaching basic nutrition and self-reliance through community gardening; and
- developing initiatives that increase the community's access to healthy, locally grown foods.
Requires the Director to carry out at least 40 projects under the Program.
Requires the Director to give priority to: (1) volunteers with experience in health, nutrition, and gardening; (2) projects located in varied geographic regions; and (3) selecting a balance of urban and rural projects.