H.R.4978 - Bottled Water Quality Information Act113th Congress (2013-2014)
|Sponsor:||Rep. Ellmers, Renee L. [R-NC-2] (Introduced 06/26/2014)|
|Committees:||House - Energy and Commerce|
|Latest Action:||House - 06/26/2014 Referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
Summary: H.R.4978 — 113th Congress (2013-2014)All Information (Except Text)
Introduced in House (06/26/2014)
Bottled Water Quality Information Act - Amends the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to direct the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) to issue regulations requiring each bottled water manufacturer or distributor to annually prepare a report that includes the following:
- the manufacturer’s or distributor’s name and contact information;
- type of water source;
- a plainly worded definition of “Standard of Identity” and “Standard of Quality” as prescribed in current bottled water regulations;
- a brief description of primary treatment methods used; and
- test results for the water’s microbiological, physical, chemical, and radiological quality.
Requires the Secretary to issue regulations requiring each bottled water label to include the following:
- the manufacturer’s or distributor’s name and contact information,
- a statement notifying consumers how to obtain the quality report required by this Act, and
- type of water source.
Prescribes means by which refillable and reusable multiservice containers may fulfill this Act’s requirements.
Preempts inconsistent state or local reporting or labeling requirements.Prohibits the distribution of bottled water products not in compliance with this Act.