H.R.5747 - To authorize the direct provision of defense articles, defense services, and related training to the Kurdistan Regional Government, and for other purposes.113th Congress (2013-2014)
|Sponsor:||Rep. Royce, Edward R. [R-CA-39] (Introduced 11/20/2014)|
|Committees:||House - Foreign Affairs|
|Latest Action:||House - 11/20/2014 Referred to the House Committee on Foreign Affairs. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
Summary: H.R.5747 — 113th Congress (2013-2014)All Information (Except Text)
Introduced in House (11/20/2014)
Expresses the sense of Congress that:
- defeating the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) is critical to maintaining a unified Iraq in which all faiths and ethnicities are afforded equal protection and full integration into the government and society;
- the people of Kurdistan face a deadly threat from ISIL which the Iraqi Security Forces, of which the Peshmerga are a component, are currently unable to match in armaments;
- any outstanding issues between the government of Iraq and the Kurdistan Regional government (KRG) should be resolved expeditiously to allow for a resumption of normal relations; and
- ISIL's continued growth presents an imminent threat to Iraqi Kurdistan, the rest of Iraq and the Middle East, and international security.
Authorizes the President to: (1) provide defense articles, defense services, and related training directly to the KRG to support international coalition efforts against ISIL or any successor group; and (2) issue licenses authorizing U.S. exporters to export defense articles, defense services, and related training directly to the KRG.
Prohibits the provision of any defense article, service, or related training to the KRG under this Act unless the KRG agrees that it will not:
- provide any such defense article, service, or training to anyone who is not a KRG officer, employee, or agent; or
- use or permit the use of any such defense article, service, or training for purposes other than those for which it was provided, unless the President's consent has been obtained.