S.1096 - Office of Rural Education Policy Act113th Congress (2013-2014)
|Sponsor:||Sen. Baucus, Max [D-MT] (Introduced 06/04/2013)|
|Committees:||Senate - Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions|
|Latest Action:||06/04/2013 Read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
Subject — Policy Area:
- View subjects
Summary: S.1096 — 113th Congress (2013-2014)All Bill Information (Except Text)
Introduced in Senate (06/04/2013)
Office of Rural Education Policy Act - Amends the Department of Education Organization Act to establish an Office of Rural Education Policy (Office) in the Department of Education's Office of Elementary and Secondary Education.
Requires the Office to be headed by a Director who advises the Secretary of Education on the characteristics and needs of rural schools, and the effects current policies and proposed statutory, regulatory, administrative, and budgetary changes have on states and local educational agencies (LEAs) that serve such schools.
Requires the Director to:
- establish and maintain a clearinghouse for collecting and disseminating certain information on rural education;
- identify innovative research and demonstration projects on topics of importance to rural schools;
- coordinate rural education activities within the Department;
- inform the Department of other federal agency activities related to rural education;
- coordinate its activities with Indian schools and the Department of the Interior's responsibilities regarding such schools;
- provide technical assistance and other support for rural education improvement efforts; and
- produce an annual report, for Congress and the public, on the condition of rural education.
Requires the Director to prepare regulatory impact analyses of the Secretary's proposed and final rules that may have a significant impact on states or LEAs that serve rural schools.