S.1971 - NEWS Act of 2014113th Congress (2013-2014)
|Sponsor:||Sen. Murkowski, Lisa [R-AK] (Introduced 01/29/2014)|
|Committees:||Senate - Energy and Natural Resources|
|Latest Action:||Senate - 12/10/2014 Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 636. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
Summary: S.1971 — 113th Congress (2013-2014)All Information (Except Text)
Reported to Senate with amendment(s) (12/10/2014)
Nexus of Energy and Water for Sustainability Act of 2014 or the NEWS Act of 2014 - (Sec. 3) Requires the Office of Science and Technology Policy to establish either a Committee or a Subcommittee on the Nexus of Energy and Water for Sustainability (NEWS) under the National Science and Technology Council (NSTC). Requires the Secretary of Energy (DOE) and Secretary of the Interior to serve as co-chairs.
Defines "energy-water nexus" as the links between: (1) the water needed to produce fuels, electricity, and other forms of energy; and (2) the energy needed to transport, reclaim, and treat water and wastewater.
Requires the NEWS Committee or Subcommittee to:
- serve as a forum for developing common federal goals and plans on energy-water nexus research, development, and demonstration activities;
- issue a strategic plan on the priorities and objectives of those activities within a year and twice a year thereafter;
- promote coordination of the related activities of federal departments and agencies;
- coordinate and develop capabilities and methodologies for data collection, management, and dissemination of information related to those activities from and to other federal departments and agencies;
- promote information exchange between federal departments and agencies; and
- review its activities, relevance, and effectiveness ten years after it is established and to report on the results of the review.
(Sec. 4) Requires the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to submit to specified congressional committees an interagency budget crosscut report no later than 30 days after the President submits the budget. Requires the report to display for each agency that carries out or supports basic and applied research, development, and demonstration activities to advance energy-water nexus related science and technologies: (1) the budget proposed in the budget request of the President for the upcoming fiscal year, (2) expenditures and obligations for the prior fiscal year, and (3) estimated expenditures and obligations for the current fiscal year.