H.R.2534 - SCAN Act114th Congress (2015-2016)
|Sponsor:||Rep. Hahn, Janice [D-CA-44] (Introduced 05/21/2015)|
|Committees:||House - Homeland Security|
|Latest Action:||House - 05/21/2016 Referred to the Subcommittee on Cybersecurity, Infrastructure Protection, and Security Technologies. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
Summary: H.R.2534 — 114th Congress (2015-2016)All Information (Except Text)
Introduced in House (05/21/2015)
Scan Containers Absolutely Now Act or the SCAN Act
Amends the Security and Accountability For Every Port Act of 2006 to direct the Secretary of Homeland Security to:
- conduct a one-year pilot program at two domestic ports to evaluate the process of 100% scanning of cargo containers and its potential for use at all domestic ports,
- achieve a full-scale implementation of the program within one year after enactment of this Act, and
- evaluate and report on such program within one year after program completion.
Requires the Secretary to:
- acquire the equipment necessary to conduct the pilot program,
- make information about the equipment available to domestic ports as part of the application process, and
- permit such equipment to remain with the selected ports upon completion of the program.
Authorizes the Secretary to purchase or lease equipment for, as well as contract for performance of scanning of cargo under, the program.