H.R.3483 - Stop Nuclear Waste by Our Lakes Act of 2015114th Congress (2015-2016)
|Sponsor:||Rep. Kildee, Daniel T. [D-MI-5] (Introduced 09/10/2015)|
|Committees:||House - Foreign Affairs|
|Latest Action:||House - 02/12/2016 Referred to the Subcommittee on the Western Hemisphere. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
Summary: H.R.3483 — 114th Congress (2015-2016)All Information (Except Text)
Introduced in House (09/10/2015)
Stop Nuclear Waste by Our Lakes Act of 2015
This bill directs the Department of State to request that the International Joint Commission:
- review the long-term impacts of the location of the Deep Geological Repository (proposed by the Ontario Power Generation for disposal of 7 million cubic feet of low- and intermediate-level nuclear waste at the Bruce Nuclear Power Plant in Kincardine, Ontario), including an examination of the conclusions reached in the Environmental Assessment Report of the Joint Review Panel, and whether those conclusions would adequately protect Lake Huron and the other Great Lakes from the risks posed by the operation of the Deep Geological Repository for low and intermediate-level nuclear waste; and
- issue a report on the Commission's findings to the governments of the United States and Canada.
If Canada decides to dispose permanently of high-level nuclear waste at a site in close proximity to the Deep Geological Repository or another site in the Great Lakes Basin the Department shall:
- request the Commission to study the risks to the Great Lakes Basin of storing high-level nuclear waste in close proximity to the Deep Geological Repository or another site in the Great Lakes Basin, and
- bring the matter before the Commission.
The Department shall undertake negotiations with Canada to:
- delay the final decision on the Deep Geologic Repository until after the Commission delivers the report required by this Act,
- delay any final decision to store high-level nuclear waste in close proximity to the Deep Geological Repository or another site in the Great Lakes Basin until after the Commission conducts the study required by this Act, and
- consent to bringing the matter of such disposal of high-level nuclear waste before the Commission.