H.R.5631 - Iran Accountability Act of 2016114th Congress (2015-2016)
|Sponsor:||Rep. McCarthy, Kevin [R-CA-23] (Introduced 07/06/2016)|
|Committees:||House - Foreign Affairs; Financial Services; Judiciary; Oversight and Government Reform; Ways and Means; Intelligence (Permanent) | Senate - Foreign Relations|
|Latest Action:||07/15/2016 Referred to the Subcommittee on Trade. (All Actions)|
|Roll Call Votes:||There has been 1 roll call vote|
This bill has the status Passed House
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
- Passed House
Summary: H.R.5631 — 114th Congress (2015-2016)All Information (Except Text)
Passed House without amendment (07/14/2016)
(This measure has not been amended since it was introduced. The summary of that version is repeated here.)
Iran Accountability Act of 2016
This bill prescribes requirements for mandatory sanctions with respect to:
- Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), its agents, and persons or entities it owns;
- Mahan Air;
- Iran's support of terrorism and money laundering;
- Iran's human rights abuses;
- certain Iranian individuals, including the Supreme Leader of Iran and the President of Iran;
- persons who conduct transactions with or on behalf of certain Iranian individuals;
- persons that support or are involved in Iran's ballistic missile program; and
- financial institutions that engage in certain transactions on behalf of persons involved in human rights abuses or that export sensitive technology to Iran.
The Department of the Treasury must establish and publish in the Federal Register an IRGC watch list.
The bill prescribes prohibitions against Iran's access to the U.S. financial system.
The bill authorizes the Department of State to provide assistance to individuals and entities working in Iran to promote the rule of law and economic opportunity.
The Iran-Iraq Arms Non-Proliferation Act of 1992 is amended to cover ballistic missiles and related technology.
The President is directed to: (1) designate within the State Department a Special Coordinator on Human Rights and Democracy in Iran; and (2) report on U.S. citizens, including dual citizens, detained by Iran or related groups.
The bill requires Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty and the Voice of America to increase programing services to Iran.