H.R.6239 - HIGHER ED Act114th Congress (2015-2016)
|Sponsor:||Rep. DeFazio, Peter A. [D-OR-4] (Introduced 09/28/2016)|
|Committees:||House - Education and the Workforce; Judiciary|
|Latest Action:||House - 10/18/2016 Referred to the Subcommittee on Regulatory Reform, Commercial And Antitrust Law. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
Summary: H.R.6239 — 114th Congress (2015-2016)All Information (Except Text)
Introduced in House (09/28/2016)
Helping Improve Grants for Higher Education & Repayment of Expensive Debt Act or the HIGHER ED Act
This bill amends title IV (Student Assistance) of the Higher Education Act of 1965 to:
- modify the Federal Pell Grant program to increase the maximum award and restore year-round grants,
- make graduate and professional students eligible to receive subsidized Stafford Loans under the Federal Direct Loan program,
- direct the Department of Education to refinance outstanding federal student loans for Direct Loan and Federal Family Education Loan program borrowers,
- include a part-time job as a faculty member within the definition of "public service job" for purposes of the public service loan forgiveness program, and
- establish additional terms and conditions applicable to the income-based and income-contingent repayment plans.
Additionally, the bill amends the federal bankruptcy code to permit a borrower to discharge in bankruptcy a nonprofit, government, or private student loan, or an obligation to repay an educational benefit, scholarship, or stipend.