S.2765 - Real Education for Healthy Youth Act of 2016114th Congress (2015-2016)
|Sponsor:||Sen. Booker, Cory A. [D-NJ] (Introduced 04/07/2016)|
|Committees:||Senate - Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions|
|Latest Action:||Senate - 04/07/2016 Read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
Summary: S.2765 — 114th Congress (2015-2016)All Information (Except Text)
Introduced in Senate (04/07/2016)
Real Education for Healthy Youth Act of 2016
This bill requires the Department of Health and Human Services to award competitive grants for: (1) comprehensive sex education for adolescents, (2) comprehensive sex education provided by institutions of higher education, and (3) training faculty and staff to teach comprehensive sex education to elementary and secondary school students.
Grants cannot be used for health education programs that:
- deliberately withhold health-promoting or lifesaving information about sexuality-related topics, including HIV;
- are medically inaccurate or have been scientifically shown to be ineffective;
- promote gender stereotypes;
- are insensitive and unresponsive to the needs of survivors of sexual abuse or assault, sexually active youth, or lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning youth; or
- are inconsistent with the ethical imperatives of medicine and public health.
This bill amends the Public Health Service Act to remove limitations on using AIDS prevention program funding for education or information that promotes certain sexual activity or intravenous substance abuse.
This bill amends the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 to allow funding to be used for contraceptive distribution in schools.
This bill amends title V (Maternal and Child Health Services) of the Social Security Act to repeal the program for abstinence education. Unobligated funds for abstinence education for FY2016 and FY2017 are transferred and made available to carry out this Act.