All Information (Except Text) for S.706 - SOS Campus Act114th Congress (2015-2016)
|Sponsor:||Sen. Boxer, Barbara [D-CA] (Introduced 03/11/2015)|
|Committees:||Senate - Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions|
|Latest Action:||Senate - 03/11/2015 Read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
There is 1 version of this bill. View text
Click the check-box to add or remove the section, click the text link to scroll to that section.
Titles Actions Overview All Actions Cosponsors Committees Related Bills Subjects Latest Summary All Summaries
Short Titles - Senate
Short Titles as Introduced
SOS Campus Act
Survivor Outreach and Support Campus Act
Actions Overview (1)
|03/11/2015||Introduced in Senate|
03/11/2015 Introduced in Senate
All Actions (1)
|03/11/2015||Read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions.|
Action By: Senate
03/11/2015 Read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions.
|Sen. Gillibrand, Kirsten E. [D-NY]*||03/11/2015|
|Sen. Kaine, Tim [D-VA]*||03/11/2015|
|Sen. Feinstein, Dianne [D-CA]||07/27/2015|
|Sen. Reid, Harry [D-NV]||08/05/2015|
|Sen. Schatz, Brian [D-HI]||12/10/2015|
|Sen. Peters, Gary C. [D-MI]||12/17/2015|
|Sen. Baldwin, Tammy [D-WI]||12/17/2015|
|Sen. Hirono, Mazie K. [D-HI]||07/14/2016|
|Committee / Subcommittee||Date||Activity||Reports|
|Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions||03/11/2015||Referred to|
Subject — Policy Area:
One Policy Area term, which best describes an entire measure, is assigned to every public bill or resolution.
Latest Summary (1)
Introduced in Senate (03/11/2015)
Survivor Outreach and Support Campus Act or the SOS Campus Act
Amends the Higher Education Act of 1965 to require each institution of higher education (IHE) that participates in the programs under title IV (Student Assistance) to designate an independent advocate for campus sexual assault prevention and response (Advocate) with experience in providing sexual assault victim services.
Directs the Secretary of Education to prescribe regulations for IHEs to follow in appointing Advocates.
Requires each Advocate to: (1) report to an individual outside the body responsible for investigating and adjudicating sexual assault complaints at the IHE, (2) submit to such individual an annual report summarizing how the resources supplied to the Advocate were used, and (3) represent the interests of each student victim even when they conflict with the IHE's interests.
Directs each Advocate to:
- ensure that sexual assault victims at the IHE receive, with their consent, specified information and services;
- guide sexual assault victims who request assistance through the reporting, counseling, administrative, medical and health, academic accommodations, or legal processes of the IHE or local law enforcement;
- attend, at the request of a sexual assault victim, any administrative or IHE-based adjudication proceeding related to such assault as an advocate for the victim;
- maintain the privacy and confidentiality of the victim and any witness to such sexual assault, without notifying the IHE or any other authority of the identity of the victim or of any such witness or the alleged circumstances surrounding the reported sexual assault, unless otherwise required to do so by state law; and
- conduct a public information campaign to inform the students enrolled at the IHE of the existence of, contact information for, and services provided by the Advocate.
Prohibits IHEs from retaliating against: (1) Advocates for representing the interests of a student victims, or (2) student victims for reporting sexual assaults to Advocates.