S.Res.432 - A resolution supporting respect for human rights and encouraging inclusive governance in Ethiopia.114th Congress (2015-2016)
|Sponsor:||Sen. Cardin, Benjamin L. [D-MD] (Introduced 04/20/2016)|
|Committees:||Senate - Foreign Relations|
|Latest Action:||Senate - 06/28/2016 Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 536. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
Summary: S.Res.432 — 114th Congress (2015-2016)All Information (Except Text)
Reported to Senate without amendment (06/28/2016)
(This measure has not been amended since it was introduced. The summary of that version is repeated here.)
- killings of peaceful protesters and excessive use of force by Ethiopian security forces;
- arrest of journalists, students, activists and political leaders who exercise their constitutional rights to freedom of assembly and expression through peaceful protests; and
- abuse of the Anti-Terrorism Proclamation to stifle political and civil dissent and journalistic freedoms.
Urges protesters in Ethiopia to refrain from violence.
Calls on the government of Ethiopia to:
- halt the use of excessive force by security forces;
- investigate the killings and excessive use of force that took place as a result of protests in the Oromia region;
- release dissidents, activists, and journalists who have been jailed for exercising constitutional rights;
- respect the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and guarantee freedom of the press and mass media; and
- repeal proclamations that can be used to prohibit funding for organizations that investigate human rights violations, engage in peaceful political dissent, or advocate for greater political freedoms or proclamations that prohibit or otherwise limit those displaced from their land from seeking judicial redress.
Calls on: (1) the Department of State to improve oversight of U.S. assistance, and review security assistance, to Ethiopia; and (2) the U.S. Agency for International Development to lead efforts to develop a strategy to support improved democracy and governance in Ethiopia.
Supports the peaceful efforts of the Ethiopian people to exercise their constitutional rights.