H.R.6229 - National Institute of Standards and Technology Reauthorization Act of 2018115th Congress (2017-2018)
|Sponsor:||Rep. Comstock, Barbara [R-VA-10] (Introduced 06/26/2018)|
|Committees:||House - Science, Space, and Technology | Senate - Commerce, Science, and Transportation|
|Committee Reports:||H. Rept. 115-977|
|Latest Action:||Senate - 09/26/2018 Received in the Senate and Read twice and referred to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Passed House
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
- Passed House
Summary: H.R.6229 — 115th Congress (2017-2018)All Information (Except Text)
Introduced in House (06/26/2018)
National Institute of Standards and Technology Reauthorization Act of 2018
This bill reauthorizes the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) through FY2019.
NIST shall carry out specified quantum information science and technology activities and convene a workshop to discuss the development of quantum information science.
- enhance and expand its guidance and assistance to federal agencies in helping them to effectively use its Framework for Improving Critical Infrastructure Cybersecurity;
- expand fundamental and applied research to address key questions related to the measurement of privacy, security, and vulnerability of software tools and communications networks; and
- implement the recommendations in the December 2017 Road Mapping Workshop Report on Overcoming Barriers to Adoption of Composites in Sustainable Infrastructure.
NIST shall continue to:
- support the development of artificial intelligence and data science; and
- conduct research on the expanded connectivity, interoperability, and security of interconnected systems and other aspects of the Internet of things.
The bill grants NIST the authority to appoint scientific, engineering, and professional personnel regardless of the civil service laws to carry out research and development that requires the services of personnel who are specially qualified.