S.2200 - National Integrated Drought Information System Reauthorization Act of 2018115th Congress (2017-2018)
|Sponsor:||Sen. Thune, John [R-SD] (Introduced 12/06/2017)|
|Committees:||Senate - Commerce, Science, and Transportation|
|Committee Reports:||S. Rept. 115-256|
|Latest Action:||01/07/2019 Became Public Law No: 115-423. (All Actions)|
|Roll Call Votes:||There has been 1 roll call vote|
This bill has the status Became Law
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
- Passed Senate
- Passed House
- To President
- Became Law
Summary: S.2200 — 115th Congress (2017-2018)All Information (Except Text)
Introduced in Senate (12/06/2017)
National Integrated Drought Information System Reauthorization Act of 2018
This bill reauthorizes through FY2023 and modifies the National Integrated Drought Information System (NIDIS) Program.
The bill amends the National Integrated Drought Information System Act of 2006 to require, under NIDIS, that the collection and integration of information on the key indicators of drought and drought impacts includes indicators of precipitation, soil moisture, and evaporative demand.
NIDIS shall also:
- provide timely data, information, and products that reflect watershed differences in drought conditions;
- through interagency agreements, coordinate and integrate future federal research and monitoring in support of a drought early warning information system;
- utilize existing forecasting and assessment programs and partnerships, including forecast communication coordinators and cooperative institutes, and improvements in seasonal, subseasonal, and low flow water prediction; and
- continue ongoing research and monitoring activities related to drought, including research activities relating to the prediction of drought.
- engage with the private sector to improve drought forecast and communication if the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration determines such partnership is appropriate, cost-effective, and beneficial to the public and the decision-makers specified in the Act; and
- facilitate the development of one or more academic cooperative partnerships to assist with NIDIS functions.
NIDIS shall develop a strategy for a national coordinated soil moisture monitoring network.
The bill amends the Food Security Act of 1985 to extend through FY2023 certain activities related to the provision of agricultural and silvicultural weather and climate information.