All Information (Except Text) for S.720 - Israel Anti-Boycott Act115th Congress (2017-2018) |
|Sponsor:||Sen. Cardin, Benjamin L. [D-MD] (Introduced 03/23/2017)|
|Committees:||Senate - Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs|
|Latest Action:||Senate - 03/23/2017 Read twice and referred to the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
- Passed Senate
- Passed House
- To President
- Became Law
There is 1 version of this bill. View text
Click the check-box to add or remove the section, click the text link to scroll to that section.
Titles Actions Overview All Actions Cosponsors Committees Related Bills Subjects Latest Summary All Summaries
Short Titles - Senate
Short Titles as Introduced
Israel Anti-Boycott Act
Official Titles - Senate
Official Titles as Introduced
A bill to amend the Export Administration Act of 1979 to include in the prohibitions on boycotts against allies of the United States boycotts fostered by international governmental organizations against Israel and to direct the Export-Import Bank of the United States to oppose boycotts against Israel, and for other purposes.
Actions Overview (1)
|03/23/2017||Introduced in Senate|
03/23/2017 Introduced in Senate
All Actions (1)
|03/23/2017||Read twice and referred to the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs.|
Action By: Senate
03/23/2017 Read twice and referred to the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs.
|Cosponsors Who Withdrew||Date Cosponsored||Date Withdrawn||CR Explanation|
|Sen. Gillibrand, Kirsten E. [D-NY]||05/09/2017||08/01/2017||--|
|Committee / Subcommittee||Date||Activity||Reports|
|Senate Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs||03/23/2017||Referred to|
Subject — Policy Area:
One Policy Area term, which best describes an entire measure, is assigned to every public bill or resolution.
- Arab-Israeli relations
- Competitiveness, trade promotion, trade deficits
- Corporate finance and management
- European Union
- Government lending and loan guarantees
- International organizations and cooperation
- Middle East
- Scientific communication
- Technology transfer and commercialization
- Trade restrictions
- U.S. and foreign investments
- United Nations
Latest Summary (1)
Introduced in Senate (03/23/2017)
Israel Anti-Boycott Act
This bill declares that Congress: (1) opposes the United Nations Human Rights Council resolution of March 24, 2016, which urges countries to pressure companies to divest from, or break contracts with, Israel; and (2) encourages full implementation of the United States-Israel Strategic Partnership Act of 2014 through enhanced, governmentwide, coordinated U.S.-Israel scientific and technological cooperation in civilian areas.
The bill amends the Export Administration Act of 1979 to declare that it shall be U.S. policy to oppose:
- requests by foreign countries to impose restrictive practices or boycotts against other countries friendly to the United States or against U.S. persons; and
- restrictive trade practices or boycotts fostered or imposed by an international governmental organization, or requests to impose such practices or boycotts, against Israel.
The bill prohibits any U.S. person engaged interstate or foreign commerce from supporting:
- any request by a foreign country to impose any boycott against a country that is friendly to the United States and that is not itself the object of any form of boycott pursuant to United States law or regulation, or
- any boycott fostered or imposed by any international governmental organization against Israel or any request by any international governmental organization to impose such a boycott.
The bill amends the Export-Import Bank Act of 1945 to include as a reason for the Export-Import Bank to deny credit applications for the export of goods and services between the United States and foreign countries, opposition to policies and actions that are politically motivated and are intended to penalize or otherwise limit commercial relations specifically with citizens or residents of Israel, entities organized under the laws of Israel, or the government of Israel.