All Information (Except Text) for S.806 - College for All Act of 2017115th Congress (2017-2018)
|Sponsor:||Sen. Sanders, Bernard [I-VT] (Introduced 04/03/2017)|
|Committees:||Senate - Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions|
|Latest Action:||Senate - 04/03/2017 Read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
There is 1 version of this bill. View text
Click the check-box to add or remove the section, click the text link to scroll to that section.
Titles Actions Overview All Actions Cosponsors Committees Related Bills Subjects Latest Summary All Summaries
Actions Overview (1)
|04/03/2017||Introduced in Senate|
04/03/2017 Introduced in Senate
All Actions (1)
|04/03/2017||Read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions.|
Action By: Senate
04/03/2017 Read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions.
|Sen. Harris, Kamala D. [D-CA]*||04/03/2017|
|Sen. Warren, Elizabeth [D-MA]*||04/03/2017|
|Sen. Blumenthal, Richard [D-CT]*||04/03/2017|
|Sen. Murphy, Christopher [D-CT]*||04/03/2017|
|Sen. Gillibrand, Kirsten E. [D-NY]*||04/03/2017|
|Sen. Leahy, Patrick J. [D-VT]||04/24/2017|
|Sen. Merkley, Jeff [D-OR]||06/07/2017|
|Committee / Subcommittee||Date||Activity||Related Documents|
|Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions||04/03/2017||Referred to|
Subject — Policy Area:
One Policy Area term, which best describes an entire measure, is assigned to every public bill or resolution.
- Academic performance and assessments
- Education of the disadvantaged
- Education programs funding
- Educational guidance
- Government lending and loan guarantees
- Higher education
- Indian social and development programs
- Interest, dividends, interest rates
- Minority education
- Student aid and college costs
- Teaching, teachers, curricula
- Vocational and technical education
Latest Summary (1)
Introduced in Senate (04/03/2017)
College for All Act of 2017
This bill amends the Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA) to establish a grant program to eliminate tuition and required fees: (1) for all students at community colleges and two-year tribal colleges and universities, and (2) for working- and middle-class students at four-year public institutions of higher education (IHEs).
Additionally, the bill amends title IV (Student Assistance) of the HEA to:
- reauthorize the Federal TRIO Programs, the Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (i.e., GEAR UP), and the Federal Work Study Program for FY2018-FY2027;
- eliminate existing base guarantees of Federal Work Study funds to IHEs and require funds to be allocated based solely on the aggregate need of the institution's students;
- modify the interest rate formulas for federal student loans to revise applicable rates on new loans disbursed on or after July 1, 2017; and
- allow student loan borrowers to modify interest rates on outstanding federal student loans to current rates.
Finally, it directs the Department of Education to use any excess revenue generated by the Federal Direct Loan program to carry out the Federal Pell Grant program.