H.R.2202 - GrAITR Act116th Congress (2019-2020) |
|Sponsor:||Rep. Lipinski, Daniel [D-IL-3] (Introduced 04/10/2019)|
|Committees:||House - Science, Space, and Technology|
|Latest Action:||House - 04/10/2019 Referred to the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
- Passed House
- Passed Senate
- To President
- Became Law
Summary: H.R.2202 — 116th Congress (2019-2020)All Information (Except Text)
Introduced in House (04/10/2019)
Growing Artificial Intelligence Through Research Act or the GrAITR Act
This bill requires certain federal activities related to artificial intelligence, including implementation by the President of a National Artificial Intelligence Initiative.
The initiative must invest in artificial intelligence research and support the development of an artificial intelligence science and technology workforce pipeline, among other activities.
The Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) shall establish or designate
- a National Artificial Intelligence Advisory Committee to advise the OSTP on matters related to the initiative;
- a National Artificial Intelligence Coordination Office to provide technical and administrative support to the advisory committee and serve as the point of contact on federal artificial intelligence activities; and
- an Interagency Committee on Artificial Intelligence to coordinate the artificial intelligence and technology research and education activities and programs of the federal agencies, among other activities.
The National Institute of Standards and Technology shall, among other things
- carry out initiative activities, including by awarding contracts as necessary;
- support the development of measurements and standards necessary to advance commercial development of artificial intelligence applications; and
- establish collaborative ventures or consortia.
The National Science Foundation shall
- implement a research and education program on artificial intelligence and engineering, and
- award grants to establish up to five Multidisciplinary Centers for Artificial Intelligence Research and Education to conduct activities in support of the initiative.
The Department of Energy shall carry out an artificial intelligence research program.