H.R.4708 - SAFE Limos Act116th Congress (2019-2020)
|Sponsor:||Rep. Tonko, Paul [D-NY-20] (Introduced 10/16/2019)|
|Committees:||House - Energy and Commerce|
|Latest Action:||10/31/2019 Sponsor introductory remarks on measure. (CR H8682) (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
Summary: H.R.4708 — 116th Congress (2019-2020)All Information (Except Text)
Introduced in House (10/16/2019)
Safety, Accountability, and Federal Enforcement of Limos Act of 2019 or the SAFE Limos Act
This bill establishes safety standards for stretch limousines.
Among other requirements, the bill requires
- safety belts to be installed in stretch limousines with a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 8,500 pounds at each designated seating position, including on side-facing seats;
- the Department of Transportation (DOT) to develop and issue guidelines, best practices, and recommendations to assist stretch limousine alterers develop and administer a vehicle modifier plan;
- DOT to complete research into side impact protection, roof crush resistance, and air bag systems for the protection of occupants in stretch limousines given alternative seating positions or interior configurations, including perimeter seating arrangements;
- stretch limousine operators to disclose (1) the date of the most recent inspection of the limousine required under state or federal law, (2) the results of the inspection, and (3) any corrective actions taken to ensure the limousine passes inspection; and
- the use of event data recorders in stretch limousines.