H.R.4713 - Department of Homeland Security Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Authorization Act116th Congress (2019-2020)
|Sponsor:||Rep. Green, Al [D-TX-9] (Introduced 10/17/2019)|
|Committees:||House - Homeland Security | Senate - Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs|
|Committee Meetings:||03/11/20 2:30PM|
|Committee Reports:||S. Rept. 116-280; H. Rept. 116-300|
|Latest Action:||Senate - 10/19/2020 Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 574. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Passed House
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
- Passed House
Summary: H.R.4713 — 116th Congress (2019-2020)All Information (Except Text)
Reported to Senate (10/19/2020)
Department of Homeland Security Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Authorization Act
This bill makes changes to the Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties (CRCL) of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
The bill expands the duties of the CRCL to include
- integrating civil rights and civil liberties protections into all DHS programs and activities;
- conducting civil rights and civil liberties impact assessments, including prior to the implementation of new DHS regulations, initiatives, programs, or policies;
- initiating reviews, assessments, and investigations of the administration of DHS programs and activities;
- leading the equal employment opportunity programs of DHS;
- engaging with individuals and communities whose civil rights and civil liberties may be affected by DHS programs and activities; and
- leading the Language Access Program to ensure that DHS can effectively communicate with individuals impacted by its programs and activities.
The bill requires each operational component of DHS to designate an Officer for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties to report to the CRCL.
The Government Accountability Office must report to Congress on implementation of provisions regarding CRCL engagement with individuals and communities whose civil rights and civil liberties may be affected by DHS programs and activities.