H.R.7717 - Uplifting Our Local Communities Act116th Congress (2019-2020)
|Sponsor:||Rep. Tlaib, Rashida [D-MI-13] (Introduced 07/21/2020)|
|Committees:||House - Financial Services|
|Committee Meetings:||09/22/20 10:30AM 09/10/20 12:00PM|
|Latest Action:||House - 07/21/2020 Referred to the House Committee on Financial Services. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
Summary: H.R.7717 — 116th Congress (2019-2020)All Information (Except Text)
Introduced in House (07/21/2020)
Uplifting Our Local Communities Act
This bill allows the Federal Reserve Board in unusual and exigent circumstances to authorize Federal Reserve banks to buy and sell municipal bonds and other specified financial instruments issued by a state, the District of Columbia, a U.S. territory or possession, or a federally recognized Indian Tribe.
The Federal Reserve Board must revise the terms of operation of the Municipal Liquidity Facility through which the board purchases state and municipal debt. Specifically, the board must
- extend the operation of the facility to December 31, 2021,
- extend the maturity of eligible debt from three years to ten,
- ensure that purchases are made at an interest rate equal to the federal funds rate,
- allow for the purchase of the debt of U.S. territories and possessions, and
- reduce the minimum eligible population size for a municipality to 50,000.
The bill also establishes a long-term municipal borrowing facility to provide capital for the duration of the economic disruption caused by the COVID-19 (i.e., coronavirus disease 2019) pandemic. Additionally, the bill removes the prohibition on loan forgiveness for states and municipalities receiving specified COVID-19 aid.