S.2968 - Consumer Online Privacy Rights Act116th Congress (2019-2020)
|Sponsor:||Sen. Cantwell, Maria [D-WA] (Introduced 12/03/2019)|
|Committees:||Senate - Commerce, Science, and Transportation|
|Latest Action:||Senate - 12/03/2019 Read twice and referred to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
Summary: S.2968 — 116th Congress (2019-2020)All Information (Except Text)
Introduced in Senate (12/03/2019)
Consumer Online Privacy Rights Act
This bill places requirements on entities that process or transfer a consumer's data.
Specifically, the bill requires such entities to
- delete or correct, upon request, information in an individual's data;
- export, upon request, an individual's data in a human-readable and machine-readable format;
- establish data security practices to protect the confidentiality and accessibility of consumer data; and
- designate a privacy officer and a data security officer to implement and conduct privacy and data security programs and risk assessments.
Further, the bill prohibits such entities from
- engaging in deceptive or harmful data practices;
- transferring an individual's data to a third party if the individual objects;
- processing or transferring an individual's sensitive data without affirmative express consent;
- processing or transferring data beyond what is reasonably necessary or for which they have obtained affirmative express consent;
- processing or transferring data on the basis of specified protected characteristics (e.g., race, religion, or gender);
- conditioning the provision of a service or product on an individual's agreement to waive their privacy rights; and
- retaliating against an employee who provides information about a potential violation of the bill's provisions, or who testifies or assists in an investigation or judicial proceeding concerning such a violation.
The Federal Trade Commission must establish a new bureau to assist with enforcement of these provisions.