S.3712 - Cyber Leap Act of 2020116th Congress (2019-2020)
|Sponsor:||Sen. Wicker, Roger F. [R-MS] (Introduced 05/13/2020)|
|Committees:||Senate - Commerce, Science, and Transportation|
|Committee Meetings:||05/20/20 10:00AM|
|Latest Action:||Senate - 05/20/2020 Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. Ordered to be reported with an amendment favorably. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
Summary: S.3712 — 116th Congress (2019-2020)All Information (Except Text)
Introduced in Senate (05/13/2020)
Cybersecurity Competitions to Yield Better Efforts to Research the Latest Exceptionally Advanced Problems Act of 2020 or the Cyber Leap Act of 2020
This bill requires the Department of Commerce to establish national cybersecurity grand challenges to achieve high-priority breakthroughs in cybersecurity.
These challenges will offer cash and noncash prizes to winners and shall include competitions that encompass
- building more resilient systems that raise adversary costs of carrying out common cyberattacks,
- empowering people with a sufficient level of digital literacy to make safe and secure decisions online and developing a cybersecurity workforce to protect and maintain information systems,
- advancing cybersecurity efforts in response to emerging technologies,
- maintaining usability while improving the security and safety of individuals' online activity, and
- reducing cybersecurity risks to federal networks and systems and improving the response of federal agencies to cybersecurity incidents.
Commerce must designate an advisory council to seek recommendations for the scope of the challenges and for metrics to assess submissions for prizes.