S.701 - Educational and Health Care Facilities Energy Efficiency Act95th Congress (1977-1978)
|Sponsor:||Sen. Pell, Claiborne [D-RI] (Introduced 02/10/1977)|
|Committees:||Senate - Human Resources; Energy and Natural Resources; Interior and Insular Affairs|
|Committee Reports:||S.Rept 95-141; S.Rept 95-351|
|Latest Action:||09/13/1977 Provisions inserted in H.R. 5037 as passed Senate. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Passed Senate
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
- Passed Senate
Summary: S.701 — 95th Congress (1977-1978)All Information (Except Text)
(Reported to Senate from the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources with amendment, S. Rept. 95-351)
Reported to Senate with amendment(s) (07/15/1977)
Educational and Health Care Facilities Energy Efficiency Act - Authorizes the Administrator of the Federal Energy Administration to make grants to educational institutions and hospitals for the payment of the Federal share of project costs incurred in connection with energy conservation projects undertaken pursuant to this Act. Limits the Federal share of such costs to 50 percent of the total cost of any such project.
Directs the Administrator to prescribe guidelines for the development of State plans with respect to the evaluation and installation of energy conservation measures under this Act. Requires each State plan to include (1) a description of the State's recommendations with respect to the evaluation and installation of energy conservation measures in schools and hospitals, and (2) the procedures under which the State will provide assistance to schools and hospitals with regard to energy conservation.
Sets forth the allocation formula for Federal assistance under this Act. Fixes the proportion of each State's allocation available to educational institutions at 75 percent of the State's total allotment, with hospitals eligible for the remaining 25 percent. Provides that the allotment to each educational institution within a State shall be on the basis of enrollment as determined from data supplied to the Administrator.
Sets forth the requirements for approval by the Administrator of applications by educational institutions and hospitals. Provides that applications may be made during one or more of the three fiscal years 1978, 1979, and 1980, and must be consistent with an approved State plan. Requires the implementation of energy conserving operational and maintenance procedures in all facilities for which projects are proposed.
Authorizes the Administrator to prescribe such rules as may be necessary to carry out the provisions of this Act.
Authorizes the appropriation of $200,000,000 in fiscal year 1978, $300,000,000 in fiscal year 1979 and $400,000,000 in fiscal year 1980 for the purpose of making grants.