S.740 - Emergency Wetlands Resources Act of 198699th Congress (1985-1986)
|Sponsor:||Sen. Chafee, John H. [R-RI] (Introduced 03/26/1985)|
|Committees:||Senate - Environment and Public Works; Energy and Natural Resources|
|Committee Reports:||S.Rept 99-445|
|Latest Action:||11/10/1986 Became Public Law No: 99-645. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Became Law
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
- Passed Senate
- Passed House
- To President
- Became Law
Summary: S.740 — 99th Congress (1985-1986)All Information (Except Text)
(Measure passed Senate, amended)
Passed Senate amended (10/03/1986)
Emergency Wetlands Resources Act of 1986 - Title I: Extension of Wetlands Loan Act - Extends the authorization of the Wetlands Loan Act through FY 1988.
Title II: Revenues for Refuge Operations and the Migratory Bird Conservation Fund - Authorizes the Secretary of the Interior to charge fees for admission permits to designated units of the National Wildlife Refuge System. Authorizes entry without a permit for certain limited purposes. Authorizes the Secretary to sell, at designated units, Golden Eagle Passports. Directs the Secretary to treat the revenues accruing from such sales in the same manner as fees collected for admission permits. Describes the kinds of admission permits which may be purchased, including individual, group and special free permits for the blind or disabled. Exempts specified refuges in Alaska created or modified by the Alaska Lands Conservation Act. Requires the deposit of 70 percent of such fees into the Migratory Bird Conservation Fund, the remaining 30 percent to go towards the operation and maintenance of the collecting unit and the System as a whole.
Increases the price of the migratory bird hunting and conservation stamp.
Requires that the amount of import duties collected on arms and ammunition be paid into the migratory bird conservation fund.
Title III: State and Federal Wetland Acquisition - Directs the Secretary to establish and periodically revise a national wetlands priority conservation plan which establishes priorities for Federal and State acquisition of wetlands on a region-by-region basis. Requires the Secretary to consider the proportion of remaining wetlands to pre-European colonization levels, the rate of loss, and the contribution of such wetlands to natural resource values.
Amends the Land and Water Conservation Fund Act of 1965 to remove certain restrictions on the acquisition of such lands. Requires each comprehensive statewide outdoor recreation plan under such Act to specifically address wetlands as an important recreation resource.
Authorizes the Secretary to acquire wetlands not acquired under the authority of the Migratory Bird Conservation Act of 1929.
Restricts the use of eminent domain in acquiring lands under this Act.
Title IV: Wetlands Inventory and Trend Analysis - Directs the Secretary, acting through the Director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, to: (1) produce final National Wetlands Inventory maps for the entire United States (specifies dates at which different maps are to be completed); and (2) produce, by the end of FY 1990, and at ten year intervals thereafter, reports to update and improve the information contained in the report dated September 1982 and entitled "Status and Trends of Wetlands and Deepwater Habitat in the Coterminous United States, 1950's to 1970's."
Directs the Secretary, by March 30, 1987, for the lower Mississippi alluvial plain and the prairie pothole regions, and by the end of FY 1987 for other areas wetlands, to prepare and submit to specified congressional committees a report regarding wetlands losses in the United States.
Title V: Miscellaneous Provisions - Amends the Migratory Bird Treaty Act to require violations of such Act to be knowing before penalties apply.
Establishes the Bayou Sauvage Urban National Wildlife Refuge, Louisiana. Authorizes appropriations.