HONORING HITCHCOCK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH; Congressional Record Vol. 159, No. 183
(Extensions of Remarks - December 23, 2013)

Text available as:

Formatting necessary for an accurate reading of this text may be shown by tags (e.g., <DELETED> or <BOLD>) or may be missing from this TXT display. For complete and accurate display of this text, see the PDF.


[Extensions of Remarks]
[Page E1910]
From the Congressional Record Online through the Government Publishing Office [www.gpo.gov]




                 HONORING HITCHCOCK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

                                 ______
                                 

                          HON. ELIOT L. ENGEL

                              of new york

                    in the house of representatives

                       Monday, December 23, 2013

  Mr. ENGEL. Mr. Speaker, Houses of Worship have been central to 
American communities since the founding of our country. One such House 
of Worship, the Hitchcock Presbyterian Church in Scarsdale, is now 
celebrating its centenary.
  In 1913, a group of 19 gathered to worship in a portable chapel 
borrowed from the Presbytery of Hudson River and set on the corner of 
Walworth Avenue and Fenimore Road. The Reverend George Smyth helped 
that group organize Hitchcock Presbyterian Church, build a sanctuary, 
organize the Sunday School, Women's Guild, Missionary Society and 
Women's Prayer Group.
  In 1949 Dr. Smyth retired and the Reverend Dr. Robert W. Youngs was 
installed as senior pastor. By then increased attendance necessitated 
two worship services each Sunday.
  In 1959 the Reverend James S. Stewart became senior pastor and served 
until 1972. During these years the Weekday School was begun and the 
three women's organizations merged to form the Guild, and in 1991 
became the Presbyterian Women of Hitchcock.
  The Reverend J. Scottie Griffin became senior pastor in July 1975 and 
served until 1982. The growing Asian population in this area stimulated 
the development of the Living in America program to serve the 
international community.
  In September 1983 the Reverend Robert S. MacLennan became senior 
pastor and served until December 31, 1992. During his ministry there 
was increased dialogue with the local Jewish community. In 1984 Special 
Ministries to Japanese, an interdenominational ministry to Japanese-
speaking people in the metropolitan area, began holding Japanese 
language worship once a month.
  In 1986 a fire destroyed the sanctuary building but not the program 
or the mission of Hitchcock Church. The rebuilding was completed and a 
sanctuary dedicated on October 7, 1990.
  In May, 1995 the Reverend Donald J. Steele became the pastor. During 
his 10 year ministry, the church became very active in mission work and 
supported ``Beyond Borders''--a literacy program in Haiti.
  The congregation called The Rev. Dr. John W. Miller of Dallas as new 
pastor and he began his ministry in 2008.
  In congratulate the Hitchcock Presbyterian Church on the celebration 
of 100 years of serving its congregants. The church has contributed 
enormously to its worshippers and I wish it many more years in our 
community.

                          ____________________